A full list of categories is shown below. Simply click the category you wish to enter and complete the online form.
You can enter a maximum of four categories. If you'd like further details before entering, please use the links to the left which provide information on the entry process, judging and FAQs. Should you require further information, please contact Fettle Events.
Entering the awards will allow you to review your business achievements. It will give you the chance to remind each other, and yourself, how good Blackburn with Darwen is! We encourage you to use the awards as an opportunity to shout about what you do and receive recognition among peers.
Awards for Businesses and Organisations
- The Newcomer AwardThis award is for businesses which have been trading in Blackburn and Darwen for fewer than three years (since May 1, 2014) and who are making waves in their sector or in their target markets. It is open to start-up businesses and to businesses which have relocated to the borough.
- The Family Business AwardThis award is for businesses in the borough that have kept it in the family. You’re a family run and owned business where more than one family member is involved in the operation the business.
- The Buzz AwardThis award is for an attraction, event, campaign or retail business that has shone a light on the borough and attracted visitors to Blackburn and Darwen. This category is open to public, private and third sector organisations.
Events or campaigns must have taken place after 1 January 2016.
- The Commitment to Blackburn and Darwen AwardOpen to public, private and the third sectors this award is for a business that can demonstrate commitment to Blackburn and Darwen life – you may be a local business with a strong CSR policy or perhaps you’re a long established business that’s part of the fabric here in Blackburn with Darwen.
We’re looking for businesses that put effort in to retaining our best people through local employment, investment in skills and training, a commitment to local procurement or commitment to our communities through support of sport, community, the arts or charity.
- The Investing in Skills AwardThis award is for businesses developing skills with a dedication to upskilling their own workforce whilst providing opportunity to improve the skills of other people.
You may offer training programmes such as apprenticeships, offer work experience or placements, judge student work or visit and speak to students about job opportunities within the borough.
- The Growing Business AwardThis award is for businesses which can show high turnover growth – at least 20 per cent on your previous financial year. Entrants will not be judged by the number alone, however. We want to know how you’re achieving your growth and what measures you’ve put in place to manage and control it.
- The Innovation AwardThis award is for businesses which can demonstrate their commitment to innovating in the workplace. That innovation might be product or service related; it might be related to your people and how they work; or it might be a process innovation that has changed the way you work or made you more efficient.
- The Made in Blackburn and Darwen Manufacturing AwardThis award is for manufacturing and engineering businesses which can demonstrate success and excellence in their field.
- The Creative and Digital AwardThis award is for businesses which operate in the creative and digital sectors. This includes those in digital and graphic design, online marketing, advertising, PR, photography, film, video-making, music, theatre, publishers, craft makers, artists and related sectors.
- The International Achievement AwardThis award is for businesses demonstrating success and excellence in overseas markets. You may be exporting, or you may have developed an overseas distribution or agent channel.
Awards for Individuals
- The Business Person of the YearThis award is for the business person of the year. You’re a business owner with ambition who has their sights set on greatness! You could be just starting out in business, or been in business for decades – we’re interested in what you did in 2016 that makes you business person of the year.
- The Young Employee AwardThis award is for employees aged under 30 who are making a positive impact in their workplace. They are a star employee and one to watch!
Employees can nominate themselves for this award – we also encourage employers to nominate their staff members.
Not available for entry these awards are nominated by the judging panel and will be presented on the night. The Hive steering group is currently seeking nominationsfor the Chairmanâs Award and the Arte et Labore Award â do you know any worthy winners? Please send your suggestions email@example.com by close of play on Friday 31 March 2017
- The Hive Chairman’s AwardThe recipient of this award will be selected by the chairman of Hive, Khalid Saifullah, and is not open for entries or nominations.
- The Arte et Labore AwardThis award will recognise a long-term commitment by an individual to making Blackburn and Darwen a more prosperous borough and a better place to live, learn, work, visit and invest. It is open for entries or nominations.